Thursday, March 1, 2007

I Love the South



There are many, many reasons why I love the South. For those of you who have preconceived notions on this area of the country, oh, how you are missing so much. Many picture the South as the stereotype of rednecks with gun racks and big trucks, for example. I have found that South Carolina in particular isn't that much different that my lovely home state of Michigan. I know plenty of Michiganders who have, in fact, the big truck with the gun rack in it. You know who you are. I think that is why I feel at home here. Not because of the gun racks, but because of the beauty, the people and the reminders of my home state.

One thing my new home state has is a vast history. Unlike any other area of the country I have been to, they take pride in their history. They remember Civil War battles and important dates in their history. They take pride in their home state in a way I have never seen before.

As many of you know, my husband is a huge history buff. Not only about South Carolina history, but history in general. I tend to tag along to some of the things he goes to, mainly for support and to take pictures hoping to improve my passion of photography. The first military submarine is located here, The Hunley. A few weeks ago, they had a ceremony remembering those who gave their lives by going to the beach where they launched the Hunley roughly 140 years ago. About 100 of us gathered on the beach as some reenactors threw wreaths in to the ocean in remembrance. I noticed that the reenactors had authentic Civil War cannons set up. As it was evening, we all braced for what we knew would be loud. What I didn't expect was what a cannon looks like when fired at night, on the beach. Seriously, how many of you can say you've seen a Civil War cannon shot at night. Well, please find the video that we took of the cannons and the video of them being shot.

I love the South!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And why am I not "Spring Breaking" it down there again?! I guess for one last year I need a new place...I'm pretty sure SC is going to be a fixture in my Spring Break destination planner in the future...and not because of the cannons! Can't wait to see you again!