Monday, March 31, 2008

A Sign or Just a Crazy Catholic mind?


As a Catholic, I have many quirks. I wonder if things that happen are a sign, meant to be, related to something else or something I should be guilty over. One of the many believes is in Saints. This is one of the many things I love about Catholicism. One thing that I found the other day that both surprised and scared me, I had to share.

I got a new book from the library called The Memory Keeper's Daughter. In summary, it's about a man who gives his baby with Downs to his nurse to take to an asylum and she doesn't. Instead, she moves away and raises the baby as her own. So, I get the book home get in bed and open it up and something falls out of it. I look down and it's a St. Anne prayer card. I look at it and think, "Oh no! Someone left their prayer card and will be looking for it." I read it and it says (excerpt of what is says), "Glorious Saint Anne, filled with compassion for those who invoke thee, and with love for those who suffer, heavily laden with the weight of my troubles, I cast myself at thy feet and humbly beg of thee to take the present affair which I recommend to thee under thy special protection..." Then I think, is this a sign that I'm going to need the prayer card for myself and pray to St. Anne? What is going to happen? Then I think about the book, the card and think, is my next child going to have Downs and I'm going to need to pray to St. Anne to take away the weight of it all? Then you keep going down that road and think, what if? Could I? What are the chances of someone being Catholic, reading the book right before I do? I mean there can't be that many Catholics in Charleston. Then I start all over, what is if means this, I wonder if that is what He's trying to say.

I guess I'll just stay on my path and hope that whatever God has in store for me, I can handle. Right? Right? Or do you think it means this... :) Enjoy your week.

No comments: