Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Here Comes Hanna


Well, I've been through an earthquake while in California, I've been in closets while tornado sirens went off in Alabama, I guess it would be fitting to go through a hurricane too. According to this model, we have a fairly good chance that it will hit directly at Charleston.

I've heard of evacuations and such, but never thought we'd actually have to decide what can fit in the van and go. Hope to God we come back to a house that is in tact or doesn't have a tree through it.

We'll try to keep you posted on everything that happens, as usual! Have a great week.

Update: I guess I'll become the person who tells you what's happening as I see it. All of this from a virgin in the hurricane department. For those of you who have been through them and worse than the category 2 they're predicting for us, this will come off as an amatuer. However, I am an amatuer.

I went out to lunch and saw a lot of things I didn't expect to see for some reason.
I left to go to Babies R Us to buy a pack and play (no, we don't own one) incase we have to evacuate--where would Hayden sleep? Driving on the freeway, I saw two Coast Guard trucks with two boats heading towards the beach. Reality set in. I saw more out of state cars heading out (their poor vacations probably cut short). The Honda dealership by our house was removing the checkered flags that are supposed to draw your attention to the lot. Two non-work trucks loaded with large quanities of plywood. Each gas station I passed had cars lined up. Loads of people from work are leaving at lunch to buy supplies from the local grocery store. Constant news reports being watch by co-workers about the hurricane and numerous calls from family and friends wondering what they're going to do. We're all waiting to hear whether our company is going to shut down officially on Friday. Hey! It's like a snow day, just more dangerous. I am thankful for the advance notice that it is coming, but like an earthquake or torando, you know as it is happening or just in advance to prepare for the worst and then pick up the pieces. With a hurricane, it's like going in to a fight you know you're going to lose and hope for the best.

No comments: