Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Feeling Absolute Love

A few of the hugs I've received I will remember for my lifetime. The general feeling of a hug is so great, but these hugs made me feel so absolutely loved, secure and full.

Any hug from my parents make me feel that way. The hug I received from Teresa while I was living in San Francisco is one of those that is up there on my list. I was out there for a few years with no visitors and NEEDED to have someone who knew me to visit. She stepped off the plane and the wave of relief and joy as she hugged me and I just cried out of happiness. That hug which to me lasted a good five minutes (though it probably didn't), was exactly what I needed and it came from the perfect person.

Another one that I will remember is when my dad had his heart attack. Robert and I were engaged at the time. I was at home for lunch about to head back to work when I got the call that he was taken to the hospital. My little Honda never cornered so well. I called Robert at work and told him that I didn't know what was happening, to stay put (no need to come to the hospital as I'm superwoman) and would call him. After about 15 minutes seeing my dad in pain and panic, I stood there alone wishing I had someone to just be there, I wasn't strong enough to handle this on my own. When they got him stable and off to surgery, I took my broken self to the waiting room to see my future husband standing there with open arms. I needed that hug from him. I felt secure and that this person would be there with those amazing hugs for the rest of my life.

I received a new hug that goes on this list. My son learned how to give a hug this week. He wraps his arms around your neck, puts his cheek on your cheek, and squeezes with all his might. It's not a 2 second hug, it's a "I love you with all my soul" hug and he means every second of it. He was up most of the night the other night, which is not new in our house. As I rocked him and said, "come on it's been three hours, go to sleep", he reached around my neck and squeezed. It was totally worth the lack of sleep to know that that hug game me greatest feeling of absolute genuine love.

Give someone a hug today. Not a two second one, a stop your world, your mind, think of the other person and hold on tight. Chances are, the love you feel for that person will come through without a word. It's so simple yet, we don't do it enough. Try it, you'll probably get the same in return.

3 comments:

Brian and Becky said...

Oh sniffle! I know what you mean. It gets even better when they learn to say "I wuv ooo, Iggey love mommy".

Anonymous said...

Yep, that hug would be on my list too. I am so glad that I was able to be the one to give it to you!

Anonymous said...

Yep, that hug would be on my list too. I am so glad that I was able to be the one to give it to you!