Monday, November 24, 2008

It's Getting Hot In Here

Conference is over and I had Friday off to recuperate. Hayden came down with a bug on Saturday and wasn't feeling quite himself. Sunday, Robert and I went kitchen stove hunting as ours is on the fritz. We came back to find Grandma Rosie rocking a very hot and lethargic baby with a concerned look. "He's 102". I evaluate the situation and we start the fun part of our weekend and today. He was up and down last night, not out of pain or his normal "I don't feel good" cry, but more of a "this isn't good" lethargic baby. Grandma came over again this morning to keep him while I went to work. I got a call from Robert about 30 minutes later saying that he had woken up and was really, really hot. 103.4. I lose my breath. He said that she had given him some Motrin and was waiting for it to go down, but I was to be on stand-by in case it increased. I packed up my stuff and headed for home.

I got there and the fever had gone down slightly, but he was still not looking good. That was probably because he's also got pink eye on top of it all. I called the Doctor and made an appointment. He's got a double ear infection. He's had plenty in his short life, but this one came on with no cries, no ear pulling, just fever. Got home and relaxed by sleeping together in a chair. Robert came home around dinner time and I attempted to give Hayden another round of Motrin as his fever was starting to get high again. Checked his temperature, 102. He wouldn't take the Motrin so I tipped him back slightly and shot it into his mouth, which he immediately gagged and threw up a bit. Robert and I wondered if he got any. He didn't, we were now at 102.8. Called the Doctor's office and asked for them to call us back and let us know if we could give him another dose. Waited the 30 minutes, 103.4. Robert looked at me and I said, draw a cool bath, we've got to get him cooled down, 104. Bath, screams, cries, Doctor calls, give him a dose of Tylenol and wait, 104. If he reaches 104, you need to take him to the ER. "He IS 104". We wait a few minutes, 103..dress him in his pjs, 102, 101, sleep.

We've had an exciting few days. We're at a new level of stress and anxiety. Being a parent sure can challenge you in ways you never knew and show your strengths and weaknesses in the rawest way. I wouldn't change it for the world because in these times, I find out more about myself and my husband. I find that we're a great team and together...we can do just about anything.

2 comments:

Brian and Becky said...

Poor lil HP. I hope he is feeling better soon. Those ear infections are devious monsters, aren't they? The "new" parents most evil nemesis.

Mr. B said...

It won't be long and it gets a lot better. It won't be long before he can tell you his ears hurt or he doesn't feel good.

Either way I'm glad to hear that things are back under control. It's never a good feeling to see the little one that sick.