
Okay, so about a month ago, we started recycling. Those of you in California reading this, I hear your gasps loud and clear. I posted a sheet of what can be recycled in the pantry bought three rubbermaid tubs (we don't have curb side pick up in our neighborhood) and some canvas grocery bags. Robert was immediatly on board with this project. We started recycling everything, our daily newspapers, the thousands of catalogs that we get in the mail, the containers that our food comes in, etc.
I am stunned by the results. The second week we did it, I pulled the trash can to the street with EASE. EASE PEOPLE! Usually, Kudzu laughs at me as I wrestle the green can to the street cursing it and it's stench. I looked in and there were only two bags for a week! TWO BAGS PEOPLE! Usually there are at least 6. I thought this was a fluke and even said to Robert, "could it be the recycling is making that much of a differnce?" Yes. it. is.
One thing I have to stand up and applaud are our grocery bags. We eat a lot in our family and love each morsel. We use to get 12-15 plastic bags and make numerous trips in the house. I found a local company here in Charleston who sells these bags called A Single Bag. We got 5 for $12 and that is all we need each week. They pack them to the brim, they're about as tall as a papersack and sturdy. Robert and I make one trip and each and every week Robert comments about how much he LOVES these bags. We've seen them in Publix and they're not as big as these plus I'm not going to advertise for Publix. Check them out HERE. When I bought the bags, I got them a few days later and a handwritten thank you note from the owner. Can't beat that.
So, I'm proud of my little family for recycling. It's much easier than I thought it would be and we feel good doing it. Though I'm not sure I'll ever be fully green, sorry, I'm not to the cloth diaper phase yet, it's only been a month. If you're not already, get recycling!
2 comments:
Awesome! Great job! Brian and I have been recycling for years - and our "pile" is always huge! I can imagine with cans/plastic bottles that don't have deposits, that makes a huge difference!
We have the Meijer bags..and we love them too! Plus, they are awesome for all sorts of other purposes too! Ours were only 99 cents - so if we leave them somewhere, we aren't heartbroken!
When you are ready to move onto the next phase of green, we can talk cleaning products..haha.
We have started using the recycle bags as well...Mikey got some from work so we are advertising for wachovia and publix. Good for you guys for doing it on your own....
Post a Comment