Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Michigan in the News


Only good things this time- both from People.com (I know solid news source). First, Bon Jovi gives money to tear down bad housing in Detroit to make room for new housing. AWESOME. The guy isn't even from Michigan! Second, a picture of John Mayer talking about how he preformed at Rothbury this past weekend. Again, great press for Michigan and boy, do they need it! We have a lot of celebrities from Michigan who are trying to do great things for the state. My example is Jeff Daniels. There are commericals even in South Carolina where he is promoting Michigan and telling people to send their business up there. The man still lives in Chelsea and flies out only for movies. Way to go, Flapp!

If you're one of those people who are still in Michigan...what are you doing to help your state? Volunteering? Buying local goods?

If you're one of those reading this who don't live there, travel there, spend money and check out my beautiful home state.

1 comment:

Brian and Becky said...

What am I doing? Well, first and foremost...staying put. Tons of well educated people tend to leave the state, and some theorize that retaining them can make a difference. Of course, that's not really my reasoning for staying, but ha, I am throwing it out there!

I haven't done any volunteering for a while (kinda busy n' all), but I am transitioning to green cleaning products, like to "buy local" when I can and support local businesses. Also, at Christmastime, in lieu of presents, my family donates to a charity like an angel tree, women's shelter, etc.

Unfortunately, as far as supporting local restaurant/businesses.... this is much easier for me to do in Flint than in GR! Chain restaurants run amok here, whereas, all our favorite restaurants/coffee shops in Flint are local yocals.

I have found some small boutiquey places in GR that carry made in Michigan toys and baby items... including the cloth diapers Isaac wears (hand made in Flint, bought in GR, go figure)!