Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Each Lesson Learned
Well, my best friend Teresa just left. She was here for five days and as usual, they went by too quickly. Each time Teresa and I are together and we separate again, I always reflect on the lessons I've learned from her. That's the great thing about our friendship, we always teach each other things subconsciously. While she was here we did a lot. We went to dinner, we went and got a pedicure, we went to Mempkin Abbey and much much more. Most of all, we talked and enjoyed each other. From this trip Teresa taught me that motherhood is just another part of who I am, it is not all of who I am. Lately, I've been feeling overwhelmed by motherhood and the daily routine of it all. When she arrived, she lended a helping hand. She allowed me to see Hayden from a different perspective. I saw him in someone else's arms, being comforted by another person (not a grandparent or husband) and his ability. Honestly, I feel like I've seen him for the first time. I've grown to appreciate him and see how beautiful he is. It's not about the day in and day out care of him. It's about seeing him each day from a different perspective and watching him grow. She taught me that you can do things with a baby, go places and enjoy the person you were before he arrived. Routine is great, but not always something that can't be changed a little bit. There were so many times when it was overwhelming and when I was our of my comfort level, but everything turned out just fine. Now, we're all better for it. With each lesson learned, I've grown as a person, as a mother and as a friend. If it wasn't for Teresa and this trip, I wouldn't be who I am now. Thank you, Sister. It was good to see you again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am so glad you had such a wonderful and insightful visit. It's amazing, how in the first months of parenthood, despite the lack of sleep and the constant learning of new skills - how such amazing observations such as these can hit you. :) Happy Parethood (see you in a month!)
Post a Comment