When your child cries, you get numb to it. You know that something is wrong, either a diaper needing changing or hunger. At first, it scares you and then you just become numb to it. He was asleep this morning so I quickly jumped in the shower. Just as I was stepping out, he started to wake up and cry. By the time I dried off and got to him, he was in full wail. Typically, this is nothing big. However, when I looked at him, a tear was coming out the side of his right eye. His tear ducks have developed. My heart broke. It's different when they're screaming and nothing is happening, but when they start to cry and shed tears, it's a different ball game. It broke my heart. I'm sure that one day I'll become numb to his tears, but for now, I hope not to see them yet again today.
My good friend, Sarah, made my day yesterday. We've been getting a lot of wonderful presents for Hayden. Lots of wonderful calls asking how he is and how we're holding up. Sarah, knows me too well, I got a package yesterday with a little something for Hayden, but included was a lot of taffy from the Ionia Free Fair. For those of you out of Michigan, this is a big fair that my family and Sarah's family attending while we were growing up. We always had to stop by the taffy booth and indulge. It is one of those treats that is so great because you only get it once a year and it is DELICIOUS. So, when I opened to box and saw the all too familiar brown paper bag with "Momma Jones" on it, my eyes lit up! Robert looked at me like I was insane and I quickly scarfed down three pieces. Then I went in to a sugar coma. :) It was brilliant. So, thank you to Sarah for a moment let me forget that I am now a mom, for a second, I was 16 years old at the fair with my best friend. Thank you.
1 comment:
What a great post!!!
Post a Comment